Most of my blog posts end with me saying I would like to make another, but then I get distracted by some shiny new pattern that comes along. This time I have actually followed through and made another Grainline Morris Blazer.
This is my second Morris, the first I made a couple of months ago in a Ponte knit (here). I wanted to try a stretch cotton and see how it looked in something with a bit of body. I bought the stretch cotton sateen from Ebay a few months ago but can’t seem to find out the seller details. I made a few changes based on my last one as there’s a little difference in the sizing of the Morris. I’ve made the Archer, Hemlock and Scout, for each one cutting a size 12, shortening the bodice by 2 inches and the sleeves by 3 inches. When I applied these adjustments on my first Morris it came up short and a bit too small. This time I went up to a size 14, left the bodice length as drafted and just took 1 inch off the sleeves.
I’m still in a slow sewing mood so took the time to bind all the seams with 12mm spotty bias binding before construction. The only seam I bound on the crossgrain was the shoulder seams (they were very nearly on the bias) I should really have waited until the seam was sewn as I have a little bit of rippling on the shoulder seam but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.
It went together easily, I know a lot of people have had a problem with the front bagging. Again I used lightweight interfacing both on the front facing and the inside of the jacket.
I’m a lot happier with this version, I think the stability of using a stretch cotton really helps the blazer keep its structure. The only improvement I could make would be to do a full bust adjustment but I doubt I’ll ever have the time or inclination to do so. I’m glad I went for the Navy, although a bit boring it is far more practical and versatile than the flowery prints I originally planned on using. I’m hoping it will see me through Autumn and keep the chill off until I find time to make my winter coat, I have decided on the Cascade Duffle!
17 thoughts on “Grainline Morris Blazer Number Two”
The fit looks great! And that bias binding is making me drool. This garment totally calls for pretty insides!
Thank you, I have a bit of a thing about navy and white polka dots and always try to sneak them in somewhere! 😊
That binding is so fun! This looks like a great wardrobe basic. I can’t wait to see your Cascade Coat when you get to it!
Thanks Teri, I’m a bit apprehensive about the cascade as I’ve never made a coat before, I’m sure the colder weather will give me the incentive to get on with it though!
This looks great! I think the length is better on this version and the navy should be great staple in your wardrobe. I also love the bound seams! Hooray for slow sewing – I need to work on that!! I’m looking forward to seeing your Cascade coat!
Thanks Heather, The length is about right, I need to remember to measure the pattern pieces before I start chopping bits off in future!
Absolutely lovely. I’m in awe of the binding too.
Thank you, I was wondering if I could add a lining but decided not to risk it, a bit of spotty binding seemed like the next best thing 😊
Such a lovely colour! Nice work inside and out!
Thanks Linda, I was initially going to make a flowery one but Navy is more practical, there’s nothing to stop me going floral next time though 😊
It looks perfect! I love the spotty bias binding!!
Thank you, I’ve not had much sewing time recently so it’s been a nice project to do a step at a time, I quite enjoyed doing the binding 😊
This looks lovely – the binding is amazing – it must have taken ages! Perfect for early autumn
Thanks Louise, I’ve been in slow sewing mode, the binding only took a couple of hours, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
Gorgeous! The spotted binding is such a cool detail 🙂
Thank you Caitlin, I do love a bit of polka dots here and there! 😊
Perfect for Autumn, you will wear this so much. Love the Hong Kong finish, what a great idea. Looks great enjoy it.